Symi, a different way

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi, a different way

Postby Allan » 10 Jun 2019, 18:15

We decided to try something a little different this year for our June Symi holiday and thought I'd share my thoughts on the experience in case it helps others with their plans.
This picture might hint at what we did:

ath1.jpg
Not a bad breakfast view!

Yes, after listening to lots of comments and recommendations from people on Symi, we decided to try the Athens route.

ath2.jpg
That thing will be good when it's finished

After months of research and weeks spent waiting for timetables to be published we managed to put together an itinery that worked: A Friday afternoon Easyjet flight from Manchester to Athens, two nights in a hotel followed by a Sunday evening overnight ferry from Piraeus to Symi via Santorini, Kalymnos and Kos arriving in Symi at 08.40 on the Monday morning. The return was more conventional: Afternoon ferry to Rhodes and late night Jet2 flight home to Leeds/Bradford.

Despite the complexity of the arrangenents the whole experience was wonderful and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who fancies trying a different route. If there is a morning flight from your local airport to Athens on a Sunday it would probably be possible to catch the 18.00 ferry and be in Symi early Monday morning after a very comfortable overnight crossing for around the same price as a Rhodes flight followed by an overnight hotel stay and ferry to Symi. Something we have been doing for many years.

We wanted this (our first visit to Athens) to be a special holiday so booked a rather swish hotel and nice cabin on the ferry but even without those frills it would have been an interesting way to get to Symi. A "city break", "cruise" and Symi holiday all in one.

ath3.jpg
The rooftop terrace was amazing

ath4.jpg
Views everywhere

ath5.jpg
Cathedral

ath6.jpg
Orthodox nun?

ath7.jpg
Part of the fascinating Monastiraki flea-market

ath8.jpg
History overload

ath9.jpg
The rooftop views were equally wonderful at night

Taxi transfers from the airport to the hotel and then on to the port went smoothly and we were dropped right at the bottom of the ferry gangway where the super-efficient crew member carried our cases to reception where another crew member insisted on taking the cases all the way to our cabin, which turned out to be wery nice indeed with plenty of room and a very comfortable bed. We were extremely impressed. Dinner in the a la carte restaurant was one of the nicest meals I've ever had and I had to keep reminding myself: "I'm on a ferry!!"

bs1.jpg
The cabin on the Blue Star 2 was well appointed

bs2.jpg
Surprisingly comfortablr beds

bs3.jpg
No lack of facilities on the ferry

bs4.jpg
Plenty of seating

bs5.jpg
shopping too!

bs6.jpg
Leaving Piraeus

bs7.jpg
Delicious food

bs8.jpg
Santorini was disappointing

bs9.jpg
Symi, of course, was NOT disappointing!

bs10.jpg
The arrival was predictably chaotic but we were on Symi

The Bluestar 2 is huge by Symi ferry standards and there was no lack of facilities on board. We were very impressed by the level of cleanliness and general upkeep of the vessel and couldn't fault the crew. It was a very pleasant experience.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Symi, a different way

Postby silverfox » 10 Jun 2019, 18:46

That looks very interesting Allan and another to think about!

Thanks for sharing!

We are on the countdown now for sure! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Jun 2019, 06:03

Lovely photos Allan. Your cabin looks very different to the only time I overnighted on a Greek ferry back in 2000. Mine was more like a cupboard :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 11 Jun 2019, 06:43

You have certainly sold that to us Allan.
The views from your hotel are stunning.
The onboard dinner looks fabulous.
We have often thought about getting to Symi via Athens so 2020 could be the year.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 11 Jun 2019, 13:23

Silverfox: Yes it was very interesting. And fun! Do it!

Gemma: I had a quick look at some of the other cabins while they were being cleaned and, yes, they did look small but still good quality and immaculately clean. The inside ones were cheaper but I think they would be a little claustrophobic for me without a window.
We were fortunate to have a large window.

cabin.jpg

The view was good despite the window being caked in salt.

cabin-view.jpg

D&E: The dunner really was excellent.

meal1.jpg

meal2.jpg

The whole dining experience was very special.

restaurant.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kon » 20 Jun 2019, 05:47

That's the only way to travel through the Greek islands ,I only use Blue Star Ferries on the long haul trips ,they are fantastic . Night time travel and watching the islands lit up .
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby JohnH » 01 Jul 2019, 13:35

We stayed in that hotel in Athens for a couple of nights last year on an archaeological tour of the Peloppenese. Great views and a good position for the Parthenon and the Plaka.
JohnH
Starting Visitor

Return to Symi Chat