New restaurant as requested

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

New restaurant as requested

Postby Allan » 19 May 2022, 09:53

20220518131217_IMG_1386_copy_800x600_4.jpg

I tried the Kalistrata restaurant (where the Olive Tree used to be) last night an found is to be excellent!
20220518193154_IMG_1389_1_copy_800x600_3.jpg

I hope the picture of the menu is readable. It is a fish restaurant though there are other options. I had the sea bass and it was beautifully presented. Who knew that cauliflower puree could taste that nice!
The staff are all mostly from the Bulmas family and were attentive and very very good. A real "restaurant experience" as opposed to "ordinary taverna". I will be going back again.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New restaurant as requested

Postby Lisa B » 19 May 2022, 16:21

Hi Allan, Thanks for the review, can't wait to try it in a few weeks! Did you need to book?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby katy » 19 May 2022, 18:32

Oh brilliant, that is a great addition to Chorio, wishing them every success. We look forward to trying it in September. :)
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 19 May 2022, 18:38

Lisa, I doubt you will need to book in a few weeks time, there were only a few people there last night.
Katy, I agree. The Village needs more places to eat.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 19 May 2022, 18:52

Good to hear you and Julie are in your favourite place. Hope you have a great time.

Many thanks for the update and pictures and yes it's great to have another place for us that love to stay up in the village.

Does it open for lunch too?

Looking forward to any more pictures and little updates.

Enjoy! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 19 May 2022, 20:27

I had intended getting a picture of the meal for you but hunger got the better of me - sorry. ;)
I will just have to get a picture of my next meal which be very soon I'm sure
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 21 May 2022, 10:32

You are a star Allan.

Love the new restaurant's logo; the menu looks well balanced between the mains and what could easily be a mezes of side dishes; and within a few steps of Yannis who we hope is keeping "our table" in good order for when we return in 2023 - D sorting out EasyJet cancellations and rebookings this morning.

You might imagine that we played the game of what we would have if there today and grilled octopus (D), grilled squid (E) followed by us both going for mussels saganaki so that would probably result in D moving onto shrimp with orzo pasta :D

Having more places to eat in Chorio can tempt folk to have an extra Ouzo and stay "up" :shock: or is that just us :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 24 May 2022, 18:16

Well, we just had to go back again...
A bit busier this time, though we got a table without booking.
The food was excellent again. I had the cod with garlic sauce and Julie had the mussels. She asked for bread to help mop up the juices and even the bread was nicely presented (lightly toasted). The cod (several small pieces in a really light batter) and the garlic sauce was not as eye-watering as some.

I remembered to get pictures before tucking in this time.

20220523204607_IMG_1411_copy_800x600.jpg

20220523204556_IMG_1410_copy_800x600.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 24 May 2022, 19:38

The cod looks interesting to me....not keen on mussels myself.

How are the prices generally? We are expecting to pay more after 2 years of a pandemic but just wondered how general prices are.

We are so looking forward to return and see all the (small) changes and enjoy our special time on Symi.

Since day one on this forum you have been so friendly and your tour, with Julie, of Franks was very helpful in finding a place suitable for Liz with her mobility issues, although we still miss Sevasti's and the walk up past the Museum

Many thanks for your pictures Allan and please post a few more if it doesn't disrupt your holiday.

Enjoy the rest of your stay on the magical rock!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 24 May 2022, 20:28

Thanks for the kind words Silverfox

To be honest, I didn't much enjoy my last visit in 2020 but this year it feels completely different. There is a buzz about the place and a real positive feel. It's as if the island has got its Mojo back.
There are still not many tourists about but it is still early in the season, time for the island to fill up.

The prices seem to have changed very little. The bus is now 2 Euro, which, with the huge hike in oil prices worldwide seems reasonable to me.
You will be pleased to hear that Yianni hasn't increased his prices and it feels to me that business owners are doing what they can to keep prices stable.

I am glad you are coming back. Frank's place is hardly changed though the hill is still a challenge for those with mobility issues.

This forum's co-administrator is staying in Sevasti this week so I am familiar with that walk too and she proudly did it in 12 minutes this evening according to the message just in.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 24 May 2022, 20:46

Good to hear the prices are holding which means we can spend more hopefully helping the locals. Hoping to spend plenty with Yianni as usual.

It's a fair walk up to Sevasti so you did well. It's worth it though if you go up through the old paths.

I love that walk :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 26 May 2022, 18:14

Thanks for that Allan, certainly got our taste buds going! I remember the bus being €2 last year, small price to pay tho isn't it. Good to hear that things are getting back to normal.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 04 Jun 2022, 17:41

We visited the Kali Strata restaurant a total of four times and loved it every time.

I noticed (from Georgio's) that the upstairs additional seating area is very popular at sunset, giving lovely views of the setting sun.

ks-800.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 05 Jun 2022, 12:37

Thanks for the picture Allan. This is on our list of places to visit in a few weeks time.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 05 Jun 2022, 15:29

silverfox wrote:Thanks for the picture Allan. This is on our list of places to visit in a few weeks time.

My intention was simply to visit the restaurant so I could report on it here. I ended up going four times! It really is good.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bill » 06 Jun 2022, 06:14

So reminds of days gone by and curry night at Ta Klima.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat